Spring Project

DSCN2273“Spring has sprung,” the saying goes.  I don’t know if this is age related, or if it’s because my birthday is right around the corner (this is a serious milestone year I don’t even want to think about), but the older I get the less inclined I am to succumb to annual spring housecleaning impulses, or a housecleaning impulse of any kind, for that matter.

Trunk of Contorted Filbert

Trunk of Contorted Filbert

The fact is I’ll go to great lengths to get out of housecleaning.  And, when spring rolls around, I have ways of finding things to do that turn out to be much more interesting, if a lot more physically taxing than housecleaning.  For instance, I become a garden dweller – at my age, difficult to discern from your average garden gnome or from the gnarled trunk of a contorted filbert.

With my grandson and his friend doing the grunt work, I got the vine maple pruned enough to remain upright.

Contorted Filbert

Contorted Filbert

My grandson and I dug up a little old contorted filbert tree I planted in the front yard in 2003.  We potted it,  and placed it on the garden deck my son built for me about ten years ago as my Mothers’ Day present.  Then, when no one was looking, I gave the filbert the good pruning it has needed for a long time.

Nick, Deena and I spend the entire day cleaning the garden.  We re-potted begonias and primroses, and cleaned and reorganized the garden deck.

Afterwards, as “The Kid” and I sat back and admired our efforts, all my muscles ached, and surreptitiously  I reached for the ibuprofen.

Great Grandma's Needlepoint Yarn Color Palette

Great Grandma’s Needlepoint Yarn Color Palette

Still fighting the spring housecleaning bug, I gravitated to the studio where I picked out the most undesirable task I could think of:  finding something to do with the rest of my mother’s needlepoint yarn stash.

I dallied around, plotting this weave and that one.  Then, an idea struck – I would make new seats for the two kitchen chairs I keep in the studio.

Chair Seat No. 1After hours of pouring over Marguerite Davison’s pattern book, I settled on making an Italian Diamond pattern on a base of 10/2 mercerized cotton plain weave.  I used the same warp for both seats and by changing the treadling in the middle of the piece, ended with two separate designs, both colorful and cheery.

With Deena’s assistance, the two chair seats soon were covered.  The finished project adds color and cheerfulness to the studio.Chair Seat Number 2

There was a real bonus to this project:  All that darned needlepoint yarn is used up!

Happy Weaving!

Advertisements